Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Money Talks

Most of us have heard the phrase when Paul counseled Timothy:
"For the love of money is the root of all evil."  
It is easy to see the prima facie meaning here, but written again with dramatic emphasis reveals further insight: 
"For the love of money is the root of ALL evil."  
In other words, every evil act, in one way or another, can be traced to the love of money. One might logically deduce, if you want to stay clear of evil-intended people, simply pay close attention to the way they act with relation to money (regardless whether they have a lot or a little).  As for myself, I have learned that I can discern everything I need to know about a person by the way they treat, think, and feel with regard to money.  If you love money, it will be the guiding influence of all your decisions - at the expense of everything and everyone else.
"...where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Now, think back to your first job.  You were making minimum wage and after a year your boss calls you in and gives you a 5 cent raise... this was supposed to thrill you.  Money talks, and in my book, 5 cents says you're not appreciated.  In-N-Out Burger's lowest paid employee makes $10 and hour.  No wonder there's always a line to eat there! - apply here - Money talks and when I worked with my friend, film director Ken X, for the first time this principle was once again demonstrated. When we finished our work together, he handed me a check for way more than we had discussed (from his personal funds). When I objected he said, "No man... you were worth it."  A fantastic friendship was born, the highest level of trust obtained, and a desire to stay connected forever - all because of how both of us acted with regard to money. I knew he was someone I wanted to work with for the rest of my life.  Consequently, that initial job lead to us working together a year later in an even greater capacity.

As a Director and Producer myself, one of the most rewarding things I do is pay people.  Sounds crazy, but it feels great to give someone a job - especially when they do their job so well!  I try to uphold a reputation of paying fast and paying well.  I usually can't pay as much as I would like to but my production team knows that if I can I always will.  Recently, I paid my producer a quarter more than he was expecting and when I called him for my next job, which I was embarrassed to offer him because the rate was so low, he said, "Darin, I will work with you on everything.  I know you're always fair."

Of course, nobody is perfect.  To some degree, all of us struggle with some tendency to do evil.  But as for myself, like many of you, I seek to overcome evil and in my efforts to do so, I have found it eminently helpful to associate with people seeking to do the same.  
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - President George Washington
If you subscribe, as I do, to what George said, then you will want to avoid associating with evil-inclining people.  If we look through the ages and even to the present time, money and power have been the motivations of nearly every tyrant the world has ever known.  Money and power always seem to go together because, if you think about it, there's nothing in this world that can't be purchased with money; so the more money you have, the more "powerful" you become theoretically. It's important to note here that power, like money, is not an inherently evil thing.  In fact, I can't really think of anything that is inherently evil. All things have their purpose, which purpose can be used to benefit and serve others or to oppress and harm others, including, and perhaps especially, ourselves.  Weeds are only evil when they find their way into your garden.

So how can we apply this character-revealing principle to elections?  - Enter Mitt Romney -  Although he doesn't make the Forbes 400 Wealthiest Americans list, a net worth of between $190 and $250 million, isn't exactly pocket change.  So Romney has money - once again, not an inherently bad thing.  Now, for the test which can be applied to all - rich and poor - how does Mitt treat, think, and feel with regard to money?  First of all, he has sought and worked very hard to obtain a lot of it - not a bad thing, in fact as the principle goes:
"And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."
Jacob 2:19; The Book of Mormon; Another Testament of Jesus Christ
Yesterday, I made the following facebook post, and everyone's response of sharing and liking it inspired my blog post today:
"Don't expect mainstream media to tell you the TRUTH regarding Mitt Romney's save of the 2002 Olympics. This TRUE account is the most impressive demonstration of skill, selfless service, and LACK of greed we have ever seen from a Presidential candidate, 'When he took the job, Romney said he would accept the offered salary of $250,000 a year only if the Olympics made a profit. When it did, HE TURNED HIS SALARY OVER TO CHARITY... AND... CONTRIBUTED $1 MILLION to the games.': http://www.newsmax.com/RonaldKessler/Olympics-Romney-Turnaround-Utah/2012/02/01/id/426250
Now talk bad about him, just try. What are they going to say "He's too charitable?! He's just so rich he wants to show off!" Don't believe the lies. 
The referenced article continues:
"Having faced a budget deficit of $379 million when he took over, Romney ended up with a surplus of $56 million. The money went to fund future Olympics. (not to Romney's pocketbook!)"
Regarding Romney's Governorship, which was exceptional, he did not take a salary during his entire term!  As if this wasn't enough, when Romney was head of Bain Capital, he did one of the most extraordinary and character-revealing things I have ever seen a Presidential candidate do (granted this was BEFORE he was running for President when the eyes of the nation were not upon him):
"... few know that in July 1996, the 14-year-old daughter of Robert Gay, a partner in Bain Capital, disappeared. As it turned out, she had attended a rave party in New York City and had become high on ecstasy.
Romney took immediate action. He closed down the entire firm and asked all 30 partners and employees to fly to New York to try to find Gay’s daughter. Romney set up a command center at the LaGuardia Marriott. He hired a private detective firm to assist with the search. He established a toll-free number for tips, coordinating the effort with New York City police.
Romney enlisted employees of Bain Capital’s accounting firm and its law firm in New York to put up posters with a photo of the missing teenager. Cashiers at Duane Reade Pharmacies, owned by Bain Capital, stashed fliers with her photo in every shopper’s bag. 
Romney and others from Bain Capital trudged through Manhattan, even scouring Central Park, and talked with everyone they could — prostitutes, drug addicts — to try to develop leads.
The hunt made the evening news, which ran photos of the girl and video of investment banker types prowling through Central Park in three-piece suits. The next day, a teenage boy she was with phoned in and asked if there was a reward. The boy got nervous and quickly hung up, but police traced the call to a home in Montville Township, N.J. 
When they found her in the basement of that home, Gay’s daughter was shivering through detox after a massive dose of ecstasy. His daughter probably would not have lasted another day, doctors told him.
The fact is Romney saved the young girl’s life, but you will not see that story in the mainstream media. Instead of Bain Capital’s more than a hundred success stories that put food on the table for American families, you will see articles on the handful of instances when Bain had to shutter the doors of companies it acquired because they were losing money."
Full Article HERE

In case you are in doubt that someone can be so generous and selfless and think this story was a hoax, here is Politifact verifying it as true.  It is so hard to know what is true when CNN, ABC, CB.S., MSNBC, and the like are cramming down our throats that Romney is a rich greedy snob who hates poor people and fires helpless employees (who were already losing their jobs!).  A recent study was published, which showed that Romney has received far more negative media than he has positive - 78% negative vs. only 22% positive!  In fact, Romney is the only candidate who had more negative reports than positive.  Even Newt Gingrich had more positive media than negative, despite his colorful claims of media bias against him.

I conclude with this story, a first-hand look at Romney's serviceable, hard-working nature (when no Press was watching!).  After the wild fires of 2007, Romney personally assisted (taking a break from his campaign!) one home owner who needed assistance:
Mitt Romney working hard with a crowbar!
"There are several things I remember about this day. I remember Mitt’s focus and work ethic. Our friend bought us breakfast burritos, but Mitt politely declined citing his desire to, '..make some progress first.' I remember moments of ingenuity (Mitt used a crowbar to pry apart cuts in the wood helping our dull chainsaws be more effective). I remember the look on a neighbors face as they passed by walking their dog. Was that really Governor Mitt Romney chopping at his neighbors stump?
For me the morning was a microcosm of what I envision a Mitt Romney presidency would be like. Every morning showing up early and ready to work, quickly assessing the challenges of the day, tackling them head on with a heavy dose of hard work and ingenuity, and leavings things in much better shape than he found them.
It has been said that our character is what we do when we think no one is looking. Notably, on this morning there were no bright lights or press corp. And as the prolific sweat on his cotton shirt would attest to, this was no token visit to merely score political points. Mitt had come to work and to serve. If America decides to offer Mitt Romney the privilege of being president, I know we’ll be getting a man character; one that not only talks the talk, but walks the walk."
Full Article HERE 
Now you may be able to see why it is that I cried, yes I wept, when Mitt Romney gave his victory speech in Florida.  He is a symbol of hope.  He is a symbol of the American dream of hard work.  Mitt Romney believes, as I do, our country is greater than Obama's "fundamental transformation of America".  As much as I hate to watch this man, I post it here to inspire you in to remove him in November:


Now watch Mitt & Ann Romney's FL victory speech - tell me they're not our next President and First Lady:

Watch how many people Romney calls out by name after his speech - he remembers people!
Here is a better link that shows Ann as well (won't let me emed here):
http://youtu.be/tTIXBKMDhuk


Mitt Romney is the most exceptional candidate this country has ever seen run for President.  I repeat, I don't care what mainstream media reports on this man.  He is truly exceptional.  Why?  Because Mitt Romney doesn't love money... OR power.

I believe this nation must repent, yes I said repent, for electing a man who hates America, Barrack Obama.  And if we do, and concentrate all our efforts on electing a moral man to the Presidency, we will see our nation prosper once again as the leader of the free world.

Mitt Romney and Ron Paul are the ONLY candidates who have not had ethics charges brought against them - in my mind it's either Romney or Paul.  Of the two, Mitt is the only one who can beat Obama - and he will.  I also have it on good faith that Romney will decline his Presidential salary!

SUBSCRIBE ABOVE

Donate to the OBAMA ONE-TERM FUND now.

BE INSPIRED:


11 comments:

  1. Re-posting! Great job Darin! Very inspiring. God Bless Mitt Romney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd be honored for your subscription so u can see my latest posts!

      Delete
  2. Awesome where is factual reporting found anymore? The media bias is outrageous a man who lives like mitt deserves a fair reporting of his life his character and his integrity thanks for setting the record straight! We need a media outlet that reports facts vs serving there own agenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I hope you will subscribe - I'd love to stay in touch!

      Delete
  3. Well said, and true true true! Thanks for taking time to educate us all Darin and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great article! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why hello, we met earlier on Katy's post. That Prrsident Washington quote is one of my all time favorites. I wasn't aware of the story of Mitt Romney helping find the missing 14 year old until a few weeks ago. It was Very impressive, and deeply moving. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie I am so glad you read my post. Yes the story of the 14 year old missing daughter... how many "politicians" have stories like that?? Thanks for your comment and I hope you will consider Romney. I am connected with many personal friends to Mitt and his family. He is the real deal I can assure you. Hope you will read my other posts and comment if so inclined. Thanks again!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!